A very happy birth story - February 2015

Here is the birth story I promised.

I was woken up by my phone ringing on the 23rd at 6 am. It was Mr. Vetri on the phone with the information that his wife Annapoorani, had lost her plug the at around 12 the night before. Her doctor had informed her to stay at home as much as possible and to reach the hospital only when the pain was intense. So far, Annapoorani had only contractions, mild ones, but no pain. I suggested they go for a walk and not worry too much. Come evening at around 4pm, I got a call saying she was in the hospital. No pain, only contractions.

So the long night went, and I greeted the next morning with a call at 5.30 am. “Amba, my wife is complaining of pain since 2 am. Please come ASAP!”. So, I donned my labour support hat and was at the hospital at 6 am. I got the mom to refocus on what she had learnt at class and we started the practice afresh. This time, no pain. She managed the contractions beautifully. In the middle of our practice, she had a contraction, but seemed absolutely fine. Once it was over, she said in a surprised tone, “Amba, that did not hurt at all”. I was so happy that she found her space and was able to handle her contractions very well.

After almost 35 hours of labour, of which 9 hours were real active and strong contractions, came the time to push. We were all ready, doc at the foot and me by the mothers side. Annapoorani and I had already reviewed the pushing twice and she did a super job. Only 3 pushes and out came a 3kg, pink, healthy girl baby. Baby cried, but then calmed down. It was such an emotional moment for mom and me.

For Annapoorani, this was her second pregnancy. The first one was only 45 days long. This was her rainbow baby. When the couple came in for the first class, they were not sure she could exercise or expect a normal delivery. She was around 45-50kgs at the start of her pregnancy. Vetri was a great support to her. He made sure she ate well and slept well. Both of them used to come with many doubts to class and go back confident.

Looking back, I feel very satisfied that they not only became confident, but Annapoorani was able to birth her baby in a very natural and normal way. I stayed with them after the birth, to initiate breastfeeding. Here too, Annapoorani’s hardwork paid off. She never felt tired or sleepy. She was all smiles and very eager to nurse her baby. The techniques that she followed during her labour made her feel more strong and less tired. Baby was also very calm and comfy in mommy’s arms. I returned home a very happy and thankful person.


I hope this incident encourages many more moms to attend birth preparation classes. In the end, if we take good care of ourselves, both physically and mentally, nature also takes care of us.